What Is FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India)?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an agency that regulates and oversees the food industry in India. It is a self-governing body founded by the Government of India’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The FSSAI was formed under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act), which is a consolidated law in India governing food safety and regulation. It ensures that food supplies are subjected to quality inspections, thus reducing food adulteration and the selling of subpar products. It is in charge of registration and authorizing Food Business Operators (FBO) in India, as well as establishing the rules and regulations for conducting food business in India. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) was established in 2008 under the auspices of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare with the mandate of establishing science-based standards for food articles and regulating their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import, as well as ensuring the availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption and matters related thereto.
Worry about how to start your Food Business! eStartIndia here to help you to get necessary requirement for start your food business without any hassle. Visit our website www.estartindia.com
ROLES OF FSSAI
The Authority’s primary function is to oversee and control food manufacturing, packaging, delivery, selling, and import while maintaining nutritious and wholesome food for customers. The Act establishes the following primary functions for the Authority to carry out.
- Establishing thresholds for Additives, Contaminants, Pesticides & Veterinary Drug Residues, Heavy Metals, Processing Aids, Mycotoxins, Antibiotics & Pharmacological Active Drugs, and Irradiated Foods.
- Provide methods for sampling, study, and knowledge sharing among enforcement agencies, as well as procedures and criteria for accreditation of qualification bodies and laboratories.
- Establish food labeling requirements, including wellness, safety, and special dietary uses statements, as well as a commodity type scheme for foods.
- Establishing food-related standards and guidelines, as well as a framework for enforcing them.
- Specifying the protocol and enforcing quality control in relation to any manufactured food item into India.
- Raising general concern of food protection and standards, as well as facilitating integration of food standards work conducted by International Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Providing training programs for people who work in or choose to work in the food industry.
- Establishing a national communication network to disseminate timely, accurate, and objective knowledge regarding food protection and other matters of concern.
- Gathering, summarizing, and reviewing related scientific and technological data on the occurrence and prevalence of biological or evolving risks, residues of different toxins, and the implementation of a rapid warning method, among other things.
IMPORTANCE OF FSSAI
- The main benefit of an FSSAI license is that it guarantees that the food product has been scientifically tested and is therefore healthy to eat. ‘Health comes before money,’ is a well-known quotation as well as a reality. As a result, something closely linked to health is fraught with risk. Many allegations of food adulteration and the use of inexpensive, unhealthy additives have been leveled against the food industry. A food authorization defends the restaurant from such accusations. A food license certifies that the food is healthy to eat and has no negative health effects.
- Next, it establishes the company’s dependability. You will make a formal statement after securing a food license. You may also include the fact that you are FSSAI accredited in your advertisement. This technique will assist you in gaining more clients. They begin to believe you. You would benefit not only clients, but also investors and collaborators. Thus, obtaining a food license significantly improves the dependability.
- Aside from dependability and certainty that the product is healthy to eat, a food license ensures the consumer that the food is of good quality. A consistency check is performed at the same time as the food inspection. This consistency test guarantees that the food commodity meets a high level, which in turn promises the consumers.
- A food certificate is only issued through inspection. This verification is performed at a chemical level and examines of and every component used in the production of the food product. This way, you will be certain that your food is being manufactured correctly. The verification process can reveal flaws or potential improvements in your food product.
WHO NEEDS FSSAI LICENSE
According to the Food Safety and Standard Act of 2006, the following persons or organizations must acquire FSSAI Registration or License:
- Business Operators
2. Food Packaging Units
3. Wholesale Grocery Sellers
4. Commodity Manufacturers in all kinds
5. Exporter and Importer of food goods
6. Caters or Hotel Raw Food Ingredient Suppliers
7. Food Traders
8. Transporter and Distributors
9. Online Food Business Operators
10. Fresh Commodity Retailers
11. Food Storage Units
KEY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FSSAI AND FDA
FSSAI is an abbreviation for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, while FDA is an abbreviation for Food and Drug Administration. The most important distinction between the two is that the FDA is based in the United States of America, while the FSSAI is based in India. The FDA was founded on June 30, 1906, although the FSSAI was established much later, in August 2011.
THE FSSAI’S RESPONSIBILITIES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- To provide science-based requirements for food articles;
- To govern food manufacturing, transportation, delivery, selling, and import; and
- To promote food protection.
THE FDA’S RESPONSIBILITIES ARE AS FOLLOWS :
- Ensuring the protection of the food chain, cosmetics, and radiation-emitting materials; • Regulating the manufacture, selling, and sale of tobacco products
- Assurance of the purity, effectiveness, and protection of human and veterinary medications, biological materials, and medical devices
- Assisting the public in obtaining correct, science-based knowledge about medical products and foods.
- Accelerating advances that render medicinal products more reliable, cleaner, and more affordable; and
Both the FSSAI and the FDA have the same function, which is to ensure public safety and health, but their jurisdictions vary. FSSAI is governed by the Government of India, while FDA is governed by the Federal Government of the United States.
ROLE OF FSSAI IN FOOD SAFETY
This agency is in charge of establishing a nationwide knowledge network such that the general public, customers, panchayats, and others may access timely, dependable, and objective information regarding food protection and other matters of concern.
FSSAI develops legislation to provide requirements and recommendations for food products, as well as to provide an effective framework for implementing different standards.
It is extremely important in the implementation of international technical standards for food, sanitary, and phytosanitary conditions.
Starting and managing educational projects for individuals who work in or choose to work in the food industry. Establishing procedures and criteria for laboratory accreditation, as well as notifying approved labs, is one of the main roles.
It is also in charge of gathering data on food intake, the occurrence and prevalence of biological risk, pollutants in food, residues of different contaminants in food items, the detection of emerging threats, and the implementation of the rapid warning method.